Useful

Indoor plants toxic to children

Indoor plants toxic to children



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

With their green foliage and vivid silhouette, plants brighten up any room. Only here, we often forget that some of them are toxic or stinging for children.

Aloe

Often grown in pots, aloe is an easy-care and decorative houseplant. Problem: in contact with the skin, the sap can cause a rash in children. If swallowed (leaves or stems), it can have a laxative effect.

Begonias

Grown with potting soil indoors, begonias delight with the liveliness of their colors. Plants, however toxic if swallowed (burning sensation in the throat, difficulty breathing, even symptoms of gastroenteritis).

Azaleas

If the azalea flowers are ingested, your child risks inflammation of the mouth, nausea and vomiting or even more severe symptoms.

The philodendron

Behind these generous leaves hides in fact a real danger for your toddlers. A leaf chewed (or ingested) and it is oral burn, with possible edema of the tongue. Be careful if your child touches the leaves and then rubs the eyes, they are also dangerous for the eyes.

Poinsettia

With its bright red leaves, this plant quickly attracts the attention of the youngest. A danger, because the sap of the plant can cause gastrointestinal upset.

The ficus

This houseplant par excellence can cause by ingestion - or contact with its sap - an allergic reaction or even irritation of the gastrointestinal canal.

The precautions to take if you have these plants

Of course, you can completely coexist these plant species with young children under your roof, provided you follow a few rules to avoid drama. Most important ? Place dangerous plants high up, out of reach of the youngest, but also of your four-legged companions. Never forget to wash your hands after handling these plants. Finally, firmly explain the danger of these to children.

What to do if your child has touched or ingested some of these plants?

Call the Poison Control Center right away. On the phone, tell the person on the phone about the name of the plant (ingested or affected) and its description. Describe the situation in as much detail as possible (time elapsed since the act, quantity, visible symptoms, etc.).